Sydney Lake History
THE FAHLGREN FAMILY
The Fahlgren's Sydney Lake saga was started in 1933 by Grandpa and Grandma Fahlgren with the purchase of an old fishing camp from Anton Vick. The lake was like a magnet that drew him closer to the land where he found the peace and solitude that is lost in the workplace. His passion for fishing was fuelled by the lake's response to his hook and line.
In 1947, John Johnston Fahlgren built his first cabin and his own boats. In 1949 he built a small cabin for grandma and afterwards the third cabin, in 1950, for his guests. Grandpa had a passion for fishing. In the evening he would stand on the shore and cast for walleye. Some days he would float lazily out on the lake in front of the camp and fish for trout. His lake trout record was 58 lbs. and took him 45 minutes to land it. He slowly worked the boat into 2 feet of water next to shore and jumped into the water to grab the fish. Grandpa ran the camp until he was 87 years old.
Sydney Lake Lodge was started in 1980 by John Fahlgren and his 3 brothers; Peter, Ted, and Doug; and his Sister Susan. Today Sydney Lake Lodge is run by Kurt Fahlgren, his brother Jeb and father John.
The Fur Trade
The Hudson's Bay Company kept a fur trading post on the Sturgeon River in the 1800's and early 1900's The post has long ago wasted away but there is still a clearing and odd bits laying around the historic site.
Surveying and Naming
Sydney Lake was named after Sydney Forester who surveyed the lake in 1926 for the Dominion of Canada. This picture was taken by him in the south end of the lake in 1926.
Sydney Lake was first inhabited by native Indians for hundreds and perhaps thousands of years.
In the late 1800's and early 1900's they camped above Rowdy Falls in tee pee's. From there they fished and hunted the abundance of the water and forest.
There was also a campground high on a rock plateau above Pineneedle lake about 4 miles due east of Sydney Lake Lodge. Its a tough 2 mile hike and paddle to get there but well worth the treck. Pineneedle Lake is the site of several pictographs.